Pasta salads are easy to prepare and can contain a vast variety of ingredients. Recipes for pasta salads began appearing in American cookbooks in the early 1900s. Most were molded salads and the only dressing used was mayonnaise.
This recipe is one of the first I tried and it is still a favorite. There are many hundreds of different types of macaroni salad recipes on the internet.
- 2 cups of spiral macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 large Roma tomatoes or 1 large regular tomato, chopped
- ½ of a large green pepper, diced
- ¼ of a large onion, diced or ¼ cup of green onions, sliced
- 1 can of kidney or other beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 to 4 radishes, sliced thin
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon bottled Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Cook the macaroni in about 4 cups of boiling water. Rinse in cold water, drain and pour into a large bowl. Add the vegetables and stir. In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, the bottled dressing, the lemon juice, the garlic, the parsley and basil together. Pour over the macaroni and vegetables, mix to blend. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Any leftover meat or seafood can be added.
Different shapes of macaroni or noodles can be used.
Other bottled dressings can be used or combinations of vinegar and oil.
Chopped or sliced hard boiled eggs can be added.
Cubes of cheese can be stirred in.
Grated carrots, slice celery, sliced cucumber and other vegetables can be added.
Horseradish or mustard can be mixed in with the mayonnaise.