This is an easy soup that delivers a lot in flavor. Once the meat and onion are browned you can finish cooking it in a slow cooker. Other vegetables can be used instead of those listed. It depends on what vegetables you have on hand.
Serve with homemade biscuits, soda bread, cornbread or bread sticks.
- 1 ½ lb. of hamburger
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 tomato can of water
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 3 teaspoons of beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Brown the hamburger and onion in a few tablespoons of cooking oil in a Dutch oven or stew pot. Do not drain the meat and onions. Add the tomatoes, the can of water, the carrots, the potatoes and the cabbage. Add the seasonings. Simmer the soup over medium heat for a couple of hours, add additional water as needed.
Vegetables that do not take as long to cook as the potatoes should be added the last 40 minutes of cooking.
Green beans, celery, green onions and corn can be added.
Turnips and parsnips cut in small pieces can be used instead of half the potatoes.