The recipe is an attempt to improve on the one Mom used to use. In my opinion her’s was beyond horrible. It was dry and didn’t have much taste. This one isn’t dry and it has flavor.
- 2 or more slices of bacon fried and crumbled
- ½ cup or more of hamburger, sausage, chicken or any other leftover meat
- 1 onion or bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (you can use garlic powder)
- 1 large can of tomatoes or chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons beef bullion (use chicken bullion if you use chicken as the meat)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Fry bacon in a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven. Remove and crumble. Set aside. Cook the rice or use leftover cooked rice. Add the meat, onion, minced garlic and green pepper to the same pan the bacon was cooked in. Cook the meat and vegetables until the onion is translucent and the meat is well browned. Add the cooked rice. Add the canned tomatoes and a can of water. Add the bullion, seasonings and butter. Simmer over low heat, stirring often, until done. Add more water as needed.
Leftovers can be microwaved,