This is a follow up to the roast chicken recipe. It’s good served with any type of homemade bread and a salad.
• 4 cups chicken broth from the roasted chicken bones
• 1 teaspoon or more of chicken bullion
• 1 cup or so of cooked chicken
• 4 or more thinly sliced ribs of celery
• ½ large onion, diced
• ¼ cup uncooked rice or add 1 cup thin soup noodles
• Poultry seasoning
Mix together in a large pot and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste. If using soup noodles do not add them until the last 20 to 30 minutes of the cooking time. Other vegetables can be added, either left over or not. Corn, peas and sliced carrots are good additions.
To thicken the soup and turn it into chowder, mash a few tablespoons of butter with an equal amount of flour with a fork in a small bowl. Stir into the hot soup. Cook until it is the thickness you want.