Before air conditioning in homes was common hot summers needed meals that were filling but would not turn the kitchen into a furnace. The hard boiled eggs could be fixed the night before or early in the morning. Serve it with iced tea, bread and butter and cookies for dessert.
• 1 can of tuna packed in oil, drained and flaked
• 1 or 2 large tomatoes, diced
• 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
• 3 or 4 green onions, sliced
• 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
• ½ large head of lettuce or other salad greens
Boil the eggs, peel and slice. Drain the can of tuna and set aside. Clean and prepare the vegetables. Combine the eggs, tuna and vegetables in a large bowl. Refrigerate until time to serve. Pour the dressing over right before serving.
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons of sugar
• 1 teaspoon of Paprika
• Enough milk to thin
Mix together in a small bowl or jar. It can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Any type of dressing can be used. Instead of lettuce or greens you can use cooked and cooled macaroni.