Good any time of the year. Serve with cornbread, a salad and dessert. It can be made the night before and reheated.
• 2 cups of dried beans, any type or a combination of several
• 1 onion, chopped, about a cup
• 4 large celery ribs, sliced, about a cup
• 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
• 3 teaspoons of chicken bullion
• 1 cup mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes
• 2 tablespoons of butter
Sort through the beans and put them in a Dutch oven or large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until the beans are almost tender. Add additional water as needed, stir occasionally. Add the chopped vegetables, garlic, and bullion. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the mashed potatoes to thicken the soup and add the butter before serving.